Request for POEMS
Place Based Publishing
Live Culture Coast
Calling all writers & poets!
Live Culture Coast invites writers to submit short poems to temporarily publish along
three roadside locations as well as in the Live Culture Coast website and event guide!
Theme & Style
Poems shall be modeled after the Burma Shave roadside advertisements, which appeared
throughout the United States from 1925 to 1963. Each advertisement was a catchy poem or
jingle spread out over a series of signs that motorists read as they drove by.
• Up to three selected poems will be placed along the Live Culture Coast route—a 135-mile,
excursion through Oregon’s South Coast, where we explore the timeless connections
between land and people.
• Writers may submit up to three entries that reflect the ethos of Live Culture Coast and
Oregon’s South Coast: Ferment. Forage. Brew. Bake. Pedal. Paddle. Wander.
Wonder. Forest. River. Tide. Sea. Science. Art. Community. Live Culture Coast is a sensory
celebration of fermentation, creativity & exploration, set along the edge of the continent,
amidst the wilds and wonders of the Southern Oregon Coast.
• Entries must follow the Burma Shave format: five lines of one to four words each, and lines
two and five must rhyme. Each poem will consist of six signs—one for each line, and the
final for the Live Culture Coast logo and the poet’s name.
Here are links to examples from Fermentation Fest (which inspired Live Culture Coast):
Submission & Jury Process
* All entries will undergo a blind jury process by members from across the south coast.
* Deadline for submissions is Friday, August 2 by 11:59 pm.
* Entries must be submitted via Google Form.
* Poets will be notified of publication status by Monday, September 9.
The 3 poems published on roadsigns will earn $50 each.
Up to 10 additional poems published in print and on the website will earn $25 each.
Questions? email email@example.com
Submit Poems? http://bit.ly/placebasedpoetry